PTSA Monday Message –February 2, 2015
The Monday Message e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org
- Upcoming dates:
2 Feb – “A” Day ……and After Prom Planning Meeting
3 Feb – Dark Side of the Internet Parent Only Seminar
6 Feb – Red & Blue Crew during all lunch blocks
17 Feb – President’s Day (School Holiday)
*** The Dark Side of the INTERNET Parent Seminar. York County PTA and the Sherriff’s Dept are partnering to host a Digital Safety Seminar at four YCSD Schools in February. GHS will host this PARENTS ONLY seminar on Tuesday, 3 February at 6:30pm. Childcare provided by PTSA. See Attachment
*** Calling All Parents! Especially Senior Parents!! The Next After-Prom meeting will be this Monday, Feb 2@6:30 at GHS. We are still in need of some committee chairs, and have multiple people chairing and helping at the same time on 2 & 3 other committees. We especially need help with Logistics, and our big upcoming AP fundraising events – Mr. Grafton, Outback Steak Night, and the Color Me Red & Blue 5K Run. Please contact GHSAfterProm2015@gmail.com for further information.
AND Check out the Vinny’s Pizza fundraiser 16-19 Feb. See Attachment
*** The next GHS PTSA Red and Blue Crew will be Friday 6th February in the cafeteria during all lunch blocks. We will be serving Valentine cupcakes to all PTSA members. If you are not a member bring $6 to the RBC table and complete a form then pick up your membership card and your cupcake. Students don’t forget your membership card can be used for 2 homework passes throughout the year but please coordinate with your teacher first.
Administrative/School Counseling News:
- Please bring your college acceptance letters to Mrs. Bowles in the School Counseling Office. We will make a copy and give them back the original.
- If the colleges Seniors have applied to require a mid-year transcript, please have them bring an envelope for each school, addressed with stamp, and the student’s name printed under the flap of the envelope by no later than February 6th……for all schools that use the Commom Application, the counselor will send these electronically, NO envelope is required!!!
- Senior Parents! If you want your student’s name and scholarship to be noted in the graduation program, you must bring the scholarship award letter to Mrs. Bowles in the School Counseling Office. You do NOT need to be accepting the scholarship to have it noted in the program!
- AP TESTING: Registration has been extended until Friday, 27 February at 2:15pm. Forms have been given out in AP classes. (See Attach) Only 1 form is need per student. The cost is $91 per exam, with checks payable to Grafton High School. Please include a parent contact number on the check. Mrs. Huffines is collecting registration forms/money in her office (Rm 411) and during all lunches on Feb. 11th and 12th. Please email Mrs. Huffines email@example.com or call her at 898-0419 if you have any questions.
- Greetings from Jefferson Lab! We are excited to share with you that our High School Summer Honors Program will happen again this summer! Local students, that are at least 16 years of age and have a 3.3 GPA, are invited to apply. Selected students will work for six weeks with a staff scientist, engineer or computer scientist on an actual JLab Project! Deadline for application is 23 February. The link below will take you to more information and the application process: http://education.jlab.org/hsapplication/index.html
- Interested in a Technical Vocational Career? Check out the New Horizons Educational Center’s Career & Technical Open House on12 & 19 February. See Attachment
- Save the Date! 15 March 2015 for AAVMC Veterinary Medical Career Fair and Information Sessions – Registration is Open! See Attachment for this free event in D.C. for any high school and undergraduate student interested in the veterinary medical profession.
- The United States Military Academy has opened its Portal for those high school juniors who wish to apply for the USMA Class of 2020. Also, the Portal is open for those juniors who wish to apply for the West Point Summer Leadership Experience (SLE), which will be conducted at West Point in early June this year. Application deadline is 15 April 2015. http://www.usma.edu/admissions/SitePages/Home.aspx
- PTSA News:
- Together we can make a difference! Volunteers are always welcome and needed. GHS & the PTSA Needs You! Please consider taking on a leadership role in one of our very worthy events. Questions? Please contact Deanne Wagner, PTSA Volunteers Chairman at firstname.lastname@example.org or 951-3085
- GHS garden flags and GHS yard signs are now available! Show your school spirit! The proceeds from this fundraiser will go to the After Prom. Attached is a picture of a flag and sign – which will say 2015. There is also an order form attached. Please fill it out and return the form and a check to the GHS main office in an envelope marked PTSA garden flag & sign. Checks should be made out to GHS PTSA. Or you can email Deanne Wagner at email@example.com.
- Clubs/Activities News:
- Have you checked out GHS’s Drama Thespian Troupe 6001? The Spring Musical of Little Women has been set for April. Club members just returned from the Virginia State Thespian Festival at GMU where 7 students qualified for the National competition at the International Thespian Festival this summer in Lincoln, NE! Check them out at
www.thespiantroupe6001.weebly.com or contact Mrs. Kreicar at GHS.
- DECA Marketing is having a pasta dinner fundraiser on 6 FEB at GHS from 4-7. Dinner is $5 and students are raising money for the state marketing competition in Va Beach.
- Athletic News
- See Attached GABC Fundraising Letter to renovate the GHS/GMS Main Gym “Wall of Fame” and Weight Training Room. All donations are tax deductible and will go directly to these projects.
- Helpful Websites:
The following is a list of useful links regarding guidance, calendars, and school board meetings:
- Grafton High: https://www.edline.net/pages/GraftonHS
- GHS Faculty & Staff Listing: https://www.edline.net/pages/GraftonHS(Teachers/Staff link)
- Guidance: https://www.edline.net/pages/GraftonHS/Guidance
- Clinic: http://www.edline.net/pages/GraftonHS/Clinic
- Band: www.graftonband.com
- Athletics: https://www.edline.net/pages/GraftonHS/Students/Athletics
- Clubs & Activities: https://www.edline.net/pages/GraftonHS(Clubs/Activities link)
- YCSD Calendar: http://yorkcountyschools.org/docs/studentCalendar.pdf
- School hours: http://yorkcountyschools.org/schools/schoolHours.aspx
- Attendance Requirements: https://www.edline.net/pages/GraftonHS/School_Info/Attendance
- School Board Meetings & Dates: http://yorkcountyschools.org/aboutUs/schoolBoard/meetings.aspx
- Lunch Prices: http://yorkcountyschools.org/parents/studentInfo/lunchMenu.aspx
- Curriculum Info: http://yorkcountyschools.org/parents/parentResources/curriculumGuides.aspx
- YCSD website: http://yorkcountyschools.org
- Videos on math topics: http://www.khanacademy.org/
- Step-by-Step homework problems review: http://hotmath.com/** – Username: Clippers123 – Login, then search for your book
- Explanations & examples for math topics: http://www.sosmath.com/algebra/algebra.html
- Free graph paper: http://www.printfreegraphpaper.com/
- Closing Thought:
“Perhaps you will forget tomorrow the kind words you say today, but the recipient may cherish them over a lifetime.”
– Dale Carnegie
GHS PTSA website: http://www.graftonptsa.org
Have a comment for the GHS PTSA? Want something corrected a/o added to this mailing? Want to be DELETED from our e-mail listing? Reply and let us know! Contact Monday Message at firstname.lastname@example.org
GHS PTSA Board 2014 – 2015
President – Chuck Cooper
Vice President – Helen Dennie
Treasurer – Linda Anderson
Recording Secretary – Mary Catherine Fralich
Corresponding Secretary – Heba Elkobaitry
GHS PTSA Committee Chairs 2014-2015
After Prom – We need Committee Chairs & Fundraising Event Organizers! Contact GHSAfterProm2015@gmail.com
Baccalaureate – Beth Evans & Michele Nelson
Hospitality – Cindy Howard & Carol Caraballo
Membership – Sandra DiGangi & Eve Mazaika
Monday Message – Chuck Cooper
Student Directory – Trey Tackling
Volunteers – Deanne Wagner
Web Page – Dave Hoegerman