- Upcoming dates:
16 Feb – Go Back to Sleep! President’s Day (School Holiday)
17 Feb – “A” Day (Tuesday)
***After Prom is in jeopardy of being CANCELED due to lack of parent participation!! There are 277 senior families and we currently have less than 30 volunteering – with some helping on multiple committees. WE NEED YOU! There are only 6 more planning meetings scheduled before the event. After Prom will NOT happen unless we hear from you ASAP! Please email our After Prom volunteer coordinator, Charlene Lassiter at GHSAfterProm2015@gmail.com to get plugged in today. See you at the next After Prom meeting at GHS on February 18 @ 7pm in the cafeteria.
AND Check out the Vinny’s Pizza fundraiser 16-19 Feb. See Attachment!
And don’t miss the the pageant of all pageants — Mr. Grafton 2015! The competition will be held Friday, March 27th at 7pm in the GHS auditorium. Any interested student can sign up in the GHS office now. For more information, contact Cindy Kirschke firstname.lastname@example.org or Tammy Minter at email@example.com. Proceeds from Mr. Grafton benefit the Class of 2015 After Prom. Skip “The Bachelor” and check out the Mr. Grafton pageant!
Administrative/School Counseling News:
- Please bring your college acceptance letters to Mrs. Bowles in the School Counseling Office. We will make a copy and give them back the original.
- If the colleges Seniors have applied to require a mid-year transcript, please have them bring an envelope for each school, addressed with stamp, and the student’s name printed under the flap of the envelope by no later than February 6th……for all schools that use the Commom Application, the counselor will send these electronically, NO envelope is required!!!
- Senior Parents! If you want your student’s name and scholarship to be noted in the graduation program, you must bring the scholarship award letter to Mrs. Bowles in the School Counseling Office. You do NOT need to be accepting the scholarship to have it noted in the program!
- AP TESTING: Registration has been extended until Friday, 27 February at 2:15pm. Forms have been given out in AP classes. (See Attach) Only 1 form is need per student. The cost is $91 per exam, with checks payable to Grafton High School. Please include a parent contact number on the check. Mrs. Huffines is collecting registration forms/money in her office (Rm 411) and during all lunches on Feb. 11th and 12th. Please email Mrs. Huffines firstname.lastname@example.org or call her at 898-0419 if you have any questions.
- Greetings from Jefferson Lab! We are excited to share with you that our High School Summer Honors Program will happen again this summer! Local students, that are at least 16 years of age and have a 3.3 GPA, are invited to apply. Selected students will work for six weeks with a staff scientist, engineer or computer scientist on an actual JLab Project! Deadline for application is 23 February. The link below will take you to more information and the application process: http://education.jlab.org/hsapplication/index.html
- Interested in a Technical Vocational Career? Check out the New Horizons Educational Center’s Career & Technical Open House on 12 & 19 February. See Attachment
- Students interested in job opportunities and employment at Kingsmill Resort this season may sign up for a Virtual Job Fair starting February 16. See attached flyer announcing details and online application process. For more information contact :
Cheryl Mattie Menkins
PHR Human Resources Manager
300 McLaws Circle, Ste., 100
Williamsburg, VA 23185
P 757 253 3994 | F 757 253 3944
- Save the Date! 15 March 2015 for AAVMC Veterinary Medical Career Fair and Information Sessions – Registration is Open! See Attachment for this free event in D.C. for any high school and undergraduate student interested in the veterinary medical profession.
- The United States Military Academy has opened its Portal for those high school juniors who wish to apply for the USMA Class of 2020. Also, the Portal is open for those juniors who wish to apply for the West Point Summer Leadership Experience (SLE), which will be conducted at West Point in early June this year. Application deadline is 15 April 2015. http://www.usma.edu/admissions/SitePages/Home.aspx
- PTSA News:
Upcoming After Prom Fundraisers:
7 March – Zumbathon! See Attachment
18 March – Outback Steak Night – See Attachment
27 March – The Mr. Grafton Pageant!
4 April – Color Me Red-n-Blue 5K Fun Run/Walk
- Together we can make a difference! Volunteers are always welcome and needed. GHS & the PTSA Needs You! Please consider taking on a leadership role in one of our very worthy events. Questions? Please contact Deanne Wagner, PTSA Volunteers Chairman at email@example.com or 951-3085
- GHS garden flags and GHS yard signs are now available! Show your school spirit! The proceeds from this fundraiser will go to the After Prom. Attached is a picture of a flag and sign – which will say “2015.” See Order Form attached. Please fill it out and return the form and a check to the GHS main office in an envelope marked “PTSA Garden Flag & Sign.” Checks should be made out to GHS PTSA. Or you can email Deanne Wagner at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Clubs/Activities News:
- Have you checked out GHS’s Drama Thespian Troupe 6001? The Spring Musical of Little Women has been set for April. Club members just returned from the Virginia State Thespian Festival at GMU where 7 students qualified for the National competition at the International Thespian Festival this summer in Lincoln, NE! Check them out at
www.thespiantroupe6001.weebly.com or contact Mrs. Kreicar at GHS.
- York County High School Sailing Team!… is always looking for new team members. If you have any sailing experience, please consider joining our team. Please see attached flyer for more info or email email@example.com. Open to all students in York County School District, grades 7 – 12.
- Don’t know how to sail?….contact Al Cummins at firstname.lastname@example.org or 757-259-0739 and learn about the Seaford Yacht Club 2015 Learn to Sail Junior Sailing Program for info on summer programs.
- Closing Thought:
“It is wiser to find out, than to suppose.”
– Mark Twain
GHS PTSA website: http://www.graftonptsa.org
Have a comment for the GHS PTSA? Want something corrected a/o added to this mailing? Want to be DELETED from our e-mail listing? Reply and let us know! Contact Monday Message at email@example.com