August 21,2018 – Executive Board Meeting Minutes

GRAFTON HIGH SCHOOL PTSA

Executive Committee Meeting

August 21, 2018

Attendance: Nakeya Green (President), Courtney Engel (Vice President), Kaylin Haywood (Treasurer), Latricia Johnson (Monday Message), Gail Asher (Hospitality), Lisa Fazenbaker (Hospitality), Camisha Dickenson (Hospitality), Darlene Heinz (Webmaster), Whitney Cataldo (Principal)

Opening: Nikki called the meeting to order at 7:04 pm.

Approval of minutes:  Darlene Heinz made a motion to approve the July 24, 2018 minutes, Lisa Fazenbaker seconded, and the motion was unanimously approved.

Treasurer Report:

  • Account balance: $3,575.70               After Prom balance:  $6,002.33
  • Taxes filed with IRS and a copy was provided to VA PTA.
  • Kaylin presented the proposed budget for 2018 – 2019. Gail Asher made a motion to approve the proposed budget.  Camisha Dickenson seconded the motion.  The proposed budget and audit will be posted on the PTSA website and the PTSA bulletin board for 30 days.  The proposed budget and audit will be presented at the general membership meeting on September 18th for approval.
  • We need to encourage families to register or renew their Kroger card with GHS PTSA. You can renew online.

President Report:

  • Nakeya attended the regional PTA training August 11th and shared the following note:
    • We can have electronic meetings or meeting using conference calls. We can not have an electronic meeting if a vote needs to be taken.
  • PTA has 4 proposed new legislatures to be considered this year. They are:
    • Virginia PTA supports legislation that implements and fully funds resources to support students’ mental health needs.
    • Virginia PTA supports legislation that implements and funds school safety measures and the effective use of Threat Assessment Teams to improve the learning environment of our public schools.
    • Virginia PTA supports legislation and policies that incorporate career and technical education (CTE) into K-12 classrooms, paying special attention to real-life career options and opportunities for training.
    • Virginia PTA supports legislation and policies that seek to recruit and retain effective educators, especially in high-poverty areas, remote locations and hard to fill positions.
  • The vote for the proposed legislation will be taken using survey monkey. Nikki will contact YCC PTA to see if they are creating an online voting option that we can share in the Monday Message.
  • This year we’d like to implement a program called Chalk the Walk. We use sidewalk chalk to write motivational messages on the sidewalk around the school.  We’ll write phrases such as “This way to success”, “Be Kind”, and “Do Well”.  Kroger has spray chalk or volunteers can pick up sidewalk chalk from the Dollar Tree.
  • During the teacher’s luncheon Nikki will have a suggestion box labeled “sail away to success” to get input from the teachers on ways the PTSA can support them.
  • PTSA will raffle off prizes to the teachers during the luncheon.
  • Nikki will implement a new program that uses the SAIL initiative started by Mrs. Cataldo. SAIL stands for Safety, Attitude, Integrity and Leadership. Each quarter teachers will be asked to submit a name that coincides with the letter for the quarter.  First quarter is S.  Second quarter is A.  Thirds quarter is I and the forth quarter is L.  The names will be placed in a hat by grade level and one name will be pulled from each hat.  The winners will receive a certificate and a $10 gift card.
  • We need a Reflections chair. We will advertise in the Monday Message and via ConnectEd.
  • During BTSN we need to stand out. We will wear name tags with our name and position. Nikki is buying blinking light necklaces for the executive board and committee chairs to wear to set us apart from all the other organizations.
  • Nikki would like to find ways to support students and teachers directly by offering tutoring.
  • We need more student involvement with the PTSA. In the past we have tried to get student leaders to attend (class leaders & SCA). This year we will try to get involvement by reminding the students they get volunteer hours for attending.  We will reach out to all students and we can bring our own students to the meetings to get input.

Principals Report:

  • Fall Sports, One Team. Coach Parker has started a program whereas each sport does a community service project.
  • Band Camp – Show this year is redemption
  • All teachers return August 22 – scavenger hunt then heading to putt putt golf
  • August 28 – Clipper Community Outreach – Taking backpacks filled with school supplies to neighborhood communities on the school bus to give away.
  • August 29 – Student orientation from 8:30 – 10:30, Snack break and membership drive at 10:30. We can ask the Athletic boosters if we can use their popcorn machine.
  • New hires: English – Ryan Sinclair, Kari Papas, Amy Brown (part time)

Science – Traci Fairheart

Social Studies – Kaylee Pierce

CTE – Kenneth Rolon

Math, Head football coach – Brandon Jarvis

PE – Kendell Lybert (JV Girls Soccer coach), Brooke Feiner (part time & Head Field Hockey Coach)

Offer made for attendance secretary

Assistant Principal – George Page

School Resource Officer (SRO) – Thomas Estes

  • We are numbering the parking spaces and students will be assigned a specific parking spot.

Corresponding Secretary:

  • No Report

 

Faculty Report:

  • No Report

 

Class Reports:

  • No Report

 

Hospitality:

  • We inventoried our supplies and Camisha bought what we need.
  • The first Teacher “Lunch” is a Breakfast bar at Play A Round on Wednesday, Aug 22. We only asked for monetary donations because the event is earlier than usual.  We bought or made all breakfast selections.  We’ll have five stations set up so teachers can choose their breakfast items quicker.
  • We will have separate appreciation events for the custodians and bus drivers in conjunction with YCSDs Appreciation Days for them. We show appreciation for all other YCSD Grafton High School subgroups every month with either a lunch or mailbox treat so we will not have separate events for each subgroup. We will put an announcement in the PTSA Monday Message for each YCSD Appreciation Day/Week.
  • Whitney Cataldo will contact the YCSD to find out when we are recognizing custodians, bus drivers and nurses.
  • Nikki will email YCC PTA President to find out when we are recognizing custodians, bus drivers and nurses.

 

 

Membership Report:

Category May
Parents 417
9th Grade 115
10th Grade 95
11th Grade 101
12th Grade 74
Special Ed
Total Students 383
Staff 99
Total 901

 

  • We ended last year with 901 members which is 15 members less than 2016-17.
  • Will not be partaking in Staff Welcome Back Breakfast. Eve is working with Whitney on a date for staff membership drive. Eve will need a couple of volunteers.
  • Everything is printed and ready for back to school functions – membership cards/Kroger instructions/homework pass instructions/PTSA discounts, pens.
  • Sandra is working on getting volunteers for Open House (August 29), if anyone is available from 8:15-11:00 we would be very appreciative.
  • Gail will hopefully be able to provide us with 4 laptops so people can join on-line at Open House.
  • At least 5 people have joined on-line directly with National PTA. We have a couple of questions about this for VA PTA which we are waiting the answers to.  We will encourage our members to join up with us and then upload that info as we did last year until we are confident that the system at National is fully operational.  Some of our issues last year were never solved.
  • Back to School Night is Thursday 13th September and we will need volunteers that night.
  • Red & Blue Crew – Friday 28th September – Ice Cream Sundaes.

Reflections:

  • We need a chair
  • The theme is “Heroes Around Me”
  • Nikki will contact the Art and English teachers to get their help in pushing the initiative in class.

Monday Message:

  • We are using MailChimp to send out the Monday Message. The first message will go out Sunday, August 26th.

Volunteers:

  • No Report

 Web Page:

  • Darlene is getting up to speed with the website.

 

After Prom:

  • Sandra would like to confirm the date of Prom 2019 because it is much later than the last few years. If it is 1st June 2019 then After Prom will be 2nd June 12:00am – 4:00am.
  • We have a tentative date of April 20th for the 5K. It is on the calendar with Denise Smith and Sandra has emailed the 2 parents who are willing to take care of it again and is waiting to hear back from them regarding their availability.
  • We have chairs for the Prize Store and Food.
  • Sandra will approach the new SRO to make sure he can be available once I know the date is the 2nd
  • I will hold the first meeting in October once Guidance has input the info from the student record cards that parents complete. That way I will be able to get a full list of all senior parent emails.

Baccalaureate:

  • Juanita Jones and Latricia Johnson are chairing this committee.

Special Projects:

  • We have $2,000 for a special project. We discussed updating the teachers lounge.  Whitney is looking at ideas.
  • The stencils have been completed and Whitney will ask Coach Parker if she can get students together to paint the sidewalk as part of a service project.

Upcoming Events:

  • 29 August at 8:30am – Student Orientation/Open House
  • 29 August at 10:30 am – Teacher snack break and membership drive
  • 4 September – first day of school
  • 4 September – Hospitality mailbox treats
  • 10 September – First Monday of school mailbox treats
  • 13 September at 6:30 – Back-to-School-Night
  • 28 September – Red/Blue Crew – Ice Cream Sundae

 

Nikki adjourned the meeting at 8:26 pm.  The next meeting is scheduled for September 18, 2018 at 6:30 pm.

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*