DEADLINE: February 1 to District Chair
100 Leanne Court, Yorktown VA 23692
Virginia PTA is proud to sponsor the 2017 Citizenship Essay Project, with the theme “We the people…why vote?” This essay project allows students to express their views and opinions on character or citizenship. Virginia PTA is committed to promoting a sense of citizenship and responsibility in the lives of our children—tomorrow’s leaders.
Who Can Enter?
All Virginia students in grades K – 12 presently enrolled in schools with active PTA/PTSA units in Good Standing. A PTA in Good Standing is one who has paid state and national dues by December 1, and whose bylaws are current, having been revised within the past five (5) years. The Special Writer Division is non-graded and limited to students whose physical, cognitive, or mental health challenges meet ADA guidelines. Qualifying students entering this division create their own essay but may receive non-artistic accommodation and assistance from an adult.
- Students in grades 9 – 12 must write a minimum of 750 words, typed and double-spaced with Times New Roman 12 Font and 1” margins.
- Students in grades 6 – 8 must write a minimum of 500 words, typed and double-spaced with Times New Roman 12 Font and 1” margins.
- Students in grades 3-5 may submit a maximum of 250 words, typed or handwritten;
- Students in grades K-2 may submit a maximum of 100 words, typed or handwritten.
- Special Writers may submit entries typed or handwritten.
- In all categories, adherence to the theme, originality, clarity, thought, and skill in standard written English will be judged.
- The theme must be used as the essay title and cannot be changed or altered in any way.
Winners in each age group are notified and will be honored at an awards ceremony in the spring. First place winners are forwarded to the State level for judging.
Send essays and completed applications to your District Chair for district judging at 100 Leanne Court Yorktown, VA 23692. Should you have any questions, please contact the Peninsula District PTA Citizenship Essay Chair Laurel Garrelts at firstname.lastname@example.org or 757-817-1103.
Be sure to download and complete the entry form to turn in with your essay: 2017 YCC PTA Student Citizenship Essay Application.