GRAFTON HIGH SCHOOL PTSA
EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE MEETING
January 17, 2017
Attendance: Sandra DiGangi (President), Kaylin Haywood (Treasurer), Lynda Kramer (Reflections), Dave Hoegerman (Web Page), Gail Asher (Hospitality), Royce Hart (Principal)
Opening: Sandra called the meeting to order at 7:08 pm.
Approval of minutes: David Hoegerman made a motion to approve the minutes. Lynda Kramer seconded the motion. The motion was approved.
- Account balance: $3718.19
- After Prom balance is $5,999
- Donations received $526.28. ($512 from Kroger – we have 30 household participating.)
- Expenses $45 (Costco Membership)
- All membership dues to York County are paid. GHS PTSA will provide remittance in amount of $15 for 4 members who recently joined and any additional members who join prior to the next membership meeting.
- Kaylin was our representative at the YCC PTA meeting on January 12th. Notes include:
- Volunteer & Principal of the Year will be awarded in May. Voting to begin soon.
- YCC is looking for someone to join the Health Advisory Board. They are rewriting the Health Handbook which outlines how schools deal with food allergies/food service etc.
- Bylaws have been copied so that everyone can put a copy in their binders.
- Shannon Ison is planning a Reality Store event on February 16th. This will involve the students working out real life situations on a budget, i.e., feeding a family, working, paying bills etc. She needs lots of volunteers. There will be a Sign up Genius in Monday Message, on the website, and Facebook page. Please spread the word.
- We need to put together a Nominating Committee in February. I will send further details by email. Not much commitment involved.
- 903 members
- We have increased our membership by 7.5%
- Staff Member of the Month for January is Mrs. Swindler.
- January’s R&BC was chips and dip donated by Plaza Azteca. Next R&BC will be Valentine Cup Cakes on 10th February
- No Report
- Reflections Art Competition: York County Level Judging Results (GHS winners)
- Award of Excellence Katharine Lewis (2nd place)
- Award of Merit Emma Bryant (3rd place)
- Award of Merit Brittany Lawrence (3rd place)
- Award of Merit Hannah McAllister (3rd place)
- YCC PTA will recognize all first, second, and third place County Level winners on March 2 at YMS at 6:30pm.
- GHS PTSA posted our student winners on PTSA website/Facebook page and requested winners be recognized on GHS Facebook and in school announcements.
- Office is returning GHS student entries through student’s homeroom teachers
- Had request from parent of non-winning film production entry to view winning entry. We received permission from winner to show her video to this parent.
- 2017 Citizenship Essay Contest – “We the people…why vote?” Applications and complete rules can be found online at http://www.vapta.org/members-only/student-programs/citizenship-essay-contest. All applications must be postmarked by February 1, 2017 and mailed to Laurel Garrelts. No late entries will be accepted.
- 2017 Power Plates Contest – Visit http://www.vapta.org/health-and-safety/power-plates for the official rules and entry form. Entry form, recipe, and picture due by February 24, 2017 in an email to PowerPlates@vapta.org.
- No Report
- January 30, 2017 – Snow Make-up day
- GHS will have an intruder drill in January
- Thank you to the hospitality committee & Red and Blue crew for the wonderful treats throughout the school year.
- Request for Beautification help from volunteers was poor, only 1 person replied. Will try again through Monday Message.
- December 13, 2016, Teacher Soup Lunch went well. 32 parents helped for a total of 52 hours, not including the co-chairs’ hours.
- Hot Chocolate Bar tomorrow, Jan 18. 16 parents quickly signed up to provide stir ins and cookies. 2 parents signed up to help during the event because I cannot attend.
- Next event is February mailbox stuffing.
- Lisa & I propose a Dessert Bar for the staff if the teachers reach 100% PTSA membership.
- There are teachers who are not members. To work out who is a teacher as opposed to admin staff, paras, custodians etc we need a list giving details.
Action Item: Mr. Hart will provide a detailed list.
- Working on some changes based on our suggestions at the meeting.
- Sandra will spearhead a meeting on Thursday January 19th for Senior Parents to see if she can get support for this event. All senior parents received an email last week telling them about the meeting and letting them know that this event cannot happen without their involvement.
- YMCA is booked but no forms completed or money paid.
- The 5K date is April 15th but Watershed and County need to be contacted for insurance.
- Request to School Board for $1000 donation has been sent.
- Will be sending request to GHS for $1000 donation.
- Still need a chair
- 25 – 27 January – Mid-term Exam
- 30 January – Snow Make-up day
- 10 February – Red & Blue Crew (Valentine Cupcakes)
- 3 March – AP test registration due
Sandra adjourned the meeting at 8:08 pm. The next meeting is February 21, 2017 at 7:00pm